SOCIAL SERVICES MINISTRY
The Diocese also initiated and currently run programs which promote and provide avenues for the people to live in harmony in their respective units and communities. The various programs promote people-centred conflict resolution and community rehabilitation of law breakers. The Diocese is known as a first point of contact for issues in peace, justice and family life. It facilitated the establishment and running of community women's associations emphasizing on the need for gender balance in the development process. Some of the achievements made by the ministry include:
- established and faciliated community women's association throughout the Diocese;
- mediated and resolved conflicts between communities;
- coordinated the "turangu appeal" using the Caritas donated funds which involved distribution to individuals and communities in need;
- conducted workshops on social issues in parishes throughout the Diocese;
- prepared proposal and coordinated community projects;
- conducted family life enrichment workshops for families throughout the Diocese; and
- conducted parole and probation of juveniles on behalf of the national government.
Apart from the achievements stated above, the analysis carried out on this main program identified the following issues of concern to be taken into account in the new plan:
- need for timely follow up on the release of Caritas funding for community projects.
- need for more awareness on women's role in the development process;
- need to continue with the facilitation of Catholic Women's Association;
- lack of proper coordination and planning of programs, activities and project;
- lack of funding from National Government for probation and parole work for juvenile; and
- lack of visits by Peace, Justice & Women's program to parishes.